Update day: 02-12-2023
Job type: Full-time
Salary: £32,000 - £34,000 a year
Role: Bakery Manager
Reports To: General Manager
Location: Chichester, West Sussex, UK
Employment Type: Full Time/45 hrs p/w – Permanent
Salary: £32 – 34k pa
Our Business is made up of several teams of dedicated people building a destination hospitality and food and beverage business. Our core businesses are located in the beautiful South Downs market town of Petworth, West Sussex, and the historic market town of West Malling in Kent.
Established in 2010, the group comprises a multiple-award-winning food brand.
The Bakery Manager will be responsible for ensuring rigorous quality standards in products and production at all times. You will be working with, supporting, developing and co-ordinating people, products, and equipment to achieve an efficient and profitable operation. You will be required to implement high-quality products whilst maintaining consistency.
- To coordinate the schedule of all departments of the bakery, including Bakers, Packers, Logistics and Administration.
- Develop a team of bakers that can produce consistent high-quality products.
- To have a working understanding of CyBake and other IT systems in use and ensure that employees are trained to use these systems to reach full potential of the bakery.
- To ensure that the bakery achieves and maintains full compliance with Food Safety, Health & Safety, SALSA, Trading Standards, Fire Safety and any national or local regulations specified, e.g. COVID-19.
- Ensure a smooth, effective, efficient, and profitable business is achieved through the coordination of people, product, and equipment.
- Ensuring that driver routes are planned to achieve efficiency.
- Ensuring that the Bakery is run in an efficient manner that will optimise costs.
- Recruit, train, develop and lead a team who are a motivated, multicultural, efficient resource in the bakery, packing facility, wholesale, and distribution teams.
- Prepare rotas for bakers, drivers, and packers in a timely and fair manner.
- Ensure that all new employees are legally compliant and can communicate effectively to all parts of the business.
- Use the SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) and GMPs (Good Manufacturing Practices) to train employees to achieve the quality standards expected for all products.
- Help staff achieve their potential by participating in and delivering effective appraisal processes.
- Manage staff in an open and approachable manner to maximise staff retention.
- Ensure all legislative training is completed within the required time scale and recorded legitimately in the staff training records.
- Manage the coordination of on-the-job training for staff.
- Manage the induction of new staff according to company standards, including participating in the delivery of hygiene induction training.
- Ensure employees check products for quality and consistency.
- Ensure good communication with all staff by participating in briefings and staff meetings.
- Manage the induction of new staff according to company standards, ensuring employees attend relevant training on
- Food Hygiene
- Health & Safety
- Fire Safety
Health & Safety and Quality Assurance
- Drive the product improvement and development programme in all areas of the bakery.
- Maintain and improve quality performance; set high standards of product quality and lead by example.
- Ensure SOPs and GMPs are used for training and quality checks to achieve a consistent standard across all products.
- Uphold Food Safety, Health & Safety, HACPP, SALSA and QA policies set out by the company and ensure all staff is kept up to date with appropriate courses/training. Maintain risk assessments, train staff accordingly and conduct regular audits.
- Instruct employees on specific safe work practices (use of proper footwear, cleaning up after spills, etc.).
- Ensure all vehicles are always maintained in a roadworthy and legal condition.
- Resource appropriately to meet the needs of the business, and appropriately manage shift patterns to minimise staffing costs.
- Manage development of new products to deliver the required margin for the business whilst working closely with the production kitchen and new product development.
- Take ownership of monthly revenue targets and ensuring they are met.
- Conduct regular price reviews to ensure profit is monitored and maintained.
- Monitor and benchmark product quality of new and existing products.
- Ensure that waste is minimised through correct training.
- Be accountable for and safeguard assets.
- Understand OPE (overall process efficiency) and implement it in business operations.
- Understand stock control and waste. Be accountable for margins and stock control.
- Manage the distribution resource to ensure delivery to all customers is on time and in full at the least cost to the business.
- Continually review product costing with respect to raw materials, striving to reduce cost/complexity yet aiming to increase productivity and quality.
- Work with suppliers, seeking best price of ingredients at the best quality, and ensure they can deliver to our requirements.
- Ensure systems (i.e. CyBake) are correctly used and data kept current.
- Write staff rotas in line with business levels; appropriately control and manage staff costs.
Experience and Qualifications
The successful candidate will ideally possess the following:
Education, Experience and Licensing Requirements:
- A minimum of 3 years working in a managerial food / bakery production role.
- The ability to demonstrate strong people development and leadership skills.
- A knowledge of the science of bread making.
- Food Hygiene L3 qualification
Desired Qualifications / Skills:
- Understanding of artisan bread products
- Knowledge of bakers’ percentages and how to make appropriate adjustments to ensure a consistent quality product
- Experience in leading a diverse team
- The ability to lead from the front, demonstrating hands on skills in all areas
As an equal opportunities employer, who are committed to the equal treatment of all current and prospective employees and does not condone discrimination on the basis of age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race or ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity, or marriage and civil partnership.
We aspire to have a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage suitably qualified applicants from a wide range of backgrounds to apply and join our team.
Click to apply for free candidate
💸 £45,000 a year⏰ 13-12-2023🌏 Portsmouth, South East
⏰ 14-12-2023🌏 Newbury, South East
⏰ 23-12-2023🌏 Wandsworth, South East
⏰ 29-12-2023🌏 Milton Keynes, South East
⏰ 30-12-2023🌏 Banbury, South East
⏰ 30-12-2023🌏 Witney, South East
⏰ 19-12-2023🌏 Horley, South East
⏰ 27-12-2023🌏 Maidenhead, South East
⏰ 23-12-2023🌏 Portsmouth, South East
⏰ 19-12-2023🌏 Abingdon, South East